Monday, May 24, 2010

Insanity

I need to have little pieces of insanity in my life. It helps me feel alive. At times I am pretty quirky or eccentric or maybe just strange. It's that craziness that keeps me going. Those moments of insanity keep me smiling and laughing. I think in some ways everyone needs a few moments to be illogical or crazy. For my husband, these moments are categorized as "guy time." My craziness is not as defined; it is integrated into my everyday life. Painting to me is a small form of insanity. I make small impressionistic dashes with my brush and hope it forms a beautiful picture. Sometimes I like to act like a 5-year-old. I remember one hot summer day, my girlfriend and I wanted it to rain. We stuck a sprinkler in the tree, took off our shoes and performed a rain dance until every inch of our clothes were soaking wet. We were way to old to be behaving like that; it was great.
Eccentric people make me smile. Several years ago I used to take breaks with a man who worked with me at the state capital. He was at least twice my age, but every afternoon he asked me to walk outside to the fountain with him. We would stand on the veranda overlooking the fountain and he would smoke a cigar. He kept them in a little silver case in his pocket. When his cigar was done it meant it was time for us to go back to work. He told me The Graduate was the best movie of all time. He talked about chasing butterflies on the capital lawn...

1 comment: