Monday, May 14, 2012

Moment of Blessing

Parenting a three year old can be frustrating.
My son can be very trying, but everyday he blesses me...

Today was cold and rainy.
As my son was playing on our living room carpet,
I slipped upstairs to rock my baby daughter to sleep.
The rain made a hushing sound that seemed to sooth both of us.
As we rocked, I closed my eyes to relax.
Suddenly I heard foot step coming up the stairs.
It was the sound only a person with small legs and toddler feet could make.
My face grimaced as I thought of the disruption that would surely ensue.
My baby would start to cry all over again.

The door to the nursery opened and my son slipped in.
He carefully walked up to me and handed me the babies pacifier.
"Thank you" I whispered.
"You're welcome" he said so softly.
Then he turned around and walked out the door carefully closing the door behind him.
In that moment he seemed much older to me.
It was as if I caught a glimpse of the man my son would become...
Someone who was caring and responsible.
He somehow reminded me that he is growing up well.
I took comfort in this reminder...
This small moment of blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment