Monday, October 12, 2009

Musicals

I have a fondness, an obsession actually, for musicals. I think life would be so much more interesting if people burst into song during the day. There would be far less violence, if gang fights were like the ones depicted in West Side Story. There would be far less broken hearts if love relationships could be solved by singing a duet together. And let’s face it, what party isn’t livelier with some singing and dancing?

If I could live in a musical for one day I would wake up singing, “Oh what a beautiful morning.” I would hop in the shower and sing “I’m gonna wash that man right out of my hair.” I would grab my umbrella and come up with some impressive dance moves on my way to work. At the end of the day, I would get my pay check and sing “If I were a rich man” all the way home to cheer myself up. That evening, I would listen while my husband sang some beautiful sonnet to me before we made love and hum softly as he drifted off to sleep.

Musicals get a bad wrap because they are unbelievably corny, but with all the depravity surrounding us, a little more corniness is just what we need. And who says women can’t be wooed by music- it has worked on me in the past. Who says conflicts can’t be resolved through singing? Isn’t that the origin of rap music?

If only the Lord had given me a beautiful singing voice I would storm the stages of Broadway. Instead I am a car singer. Instead of Broadway, I have the open road as a stage; my Honda is my audience. I’ve sung back up to some of the hottest artist in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment