Monday, September 14, 2009

Pennsylvania in the Fall

Fall is coming. It is hard to explain Pennsylvania in the fall. It is my favorite time of year. When I lived in Virginia, they had mountains with trees that changed color. The crisp fall air would blow in, but still I missed my Pennsylvania. There is something in the air here during autumn. Everyone is giddy. Like I said, I can’t explain it.

With that first rush of cool wind kisses my cheeks, I am ready to kiss summer goodbye and plunge into autumn head first in love. Maybe it is memories of playing football, or hiking down leaf-covered trails. Maybe it is just pulling out my sweaters and knitting needles. Maybe it is having someone to snuggle under a blanket with. Summer makes me restless, but fall always makes me want to fall in love and settle down.

I met my husband on an evening in the fall. We walked across the Walnut Street Bridge into the city. The lights on the bridge were shining. The air was cold and I wrapped my hand around his arm for warmth. He kept looking up at my city with fascination. I wasn’t looking for a long term relationship. I was 18 and just wanted to have fun.

I think something in the weather told my heart “It’s time to settle down.”

No comments:

Post a Comment